I decided to pursue the Academy of Hospitality and Tourism because I wanted to do something different other than the regular high school path. I get hands on training in the hospitality industry will all the field trips, activities, and competitions the academy does. Ever since I joined the academy I have decided to pursue a career in the hospitality industry after high school and even if I don't go straight to college after high school the experience I've gained in the academy has prepared me to go into the field right away. I'm already certified in customer service and I feel ready to start working in an office.
Academy of Hospitality and Tourism Overview
The Academy of Hospitality and Tourism will provide students with the academic, social, and technical skills necessary for global economic leadership. Through the study of business theory and the observation, practice, and application of business skills, students will experience an education that connects the classroom with the real world.
Established in 2008, The Academy of Hospitality and Tourism, also known as AOHT, became a member of Winter Haven High School's curriculum. The AOHT's main goal is to help prepare the students for basic skills in customer service and business management for the travel and tourism industries. Students will learn customer service basics, business etiquette, computer operations, and the many facets of meeting client needs whether it’s travel for business, fun, or conference planning. Paid and/or volunteer internships are completed during the senior year.
Hospitality Management... A Hot Career Field
The Hospitality/Tourism industry includes many potential career areas:
- Event Planning and Management
- Hospitality Management
- Sports & Entertainment
- Business Management
- Human Resources
- Travel Planning
AOHT provides students with unique opportunities:
- Regular field trips to local businesses
- Preparation for college and work
- Interesting courses and teachers
- Hands-on projects that matter
- Paid and/or volunteer internships
- Practical experience in the business world
- A caring learning community
- Participation in a school based enterprise
Course of Study
- Year 1-Introduction to Information Technology (prerequisite for program)
- Year 2-Introduction to Hospitality
- Year 3-Computer Technology for Travel and Tourism
- Year 4-Hospitality and Tourism Internship
Join the AOHT Team
AOHT is more than a set of elective courses; it is a team of dedicated teachers, counselors and students, working together on real-world projects.