Being a student in the Auburndale High School Medical Academy and HOSA, has been quite an extraordinary experience. I decided to pursue the Academy due to my interest in the health care field. I also look forward to the experience of treating and caring for people. In comparison to the traditional high school path, the Medical Academy has enhanced my ability to interact with people who have the same passion as I do, and has allowed me to familiarize myself with the health care environment. Through field trips, competitions, shadowing, and conferences, I have refined my knowledge of the health care industry. I have also had the opportunity to study and learn career-oriented hands-on skills that will offer a smoother transition into the college and career environment. The Medical Academy has also encouraged me to be consistently devoted to all courses to maintain a high GPA, so that I can achieve my career goals. The academy has offered me the opportunity to envision my future as a Health care professional. It has also allowed me to set personal goals to attend college so that I can obtain a bachelors degree in medicine. This will give me the opportunity to strive for a M.D. and ultimately achieve my goal of becoming a cardiologist. My involvement in the academy also influenced my decision on being part of the assisted living facility where I work. While in the Medical Academy, I was introduced to the Health Occupations Students of America (HOSA) club. My involvement with it and the Medical Academy, has given me more experience with skills and knowledge that has helped me to perform my job better.
Highlights and awards
- HOSA active member for 3 years.
- Placed 1st at regional HOSA competitions 2010 and 2011.
- Placed 5th at state HOSA competitions in 2011.
- Hospice volunteer for two years.
- Employment at local assisted living facility.
Auburndale Medical Academy Overview
The medical field is among the fastest growing industries today. Registered Nurses are among the top five largest occupations in the nation. Auburndale High School’s Medical Academy is a multi-year program. Upon graduation, students will have the necessary skills and certifications for employment or continued education in the health care industry.
From taking blood pressures to assisting with sterile procedures, academy students will be provided with up to date industry information. They will be provided the opportunity to help work community events and complete clinical experiences within the industry.
Whatever your plans for the future, joining Auburndale High’s Medical Academy will provide you with the opportunity for a successful future.
- Electrocardiograph Aide
- Home Health Aide
- First Responder (Polk State College Credit Possible)
- Earn college credit-depending on classes offered per school year, or dual enrollment where credit hours can be earned.
- Earn a scholarship-qualified students are eligible to receive the Gold Seal Scholarship which may pay a significant percentage of college tuition and fees to Florida public colleges and universities.
- Earn certification-Certified Administrative Medical Assistant, First Responder, Electrocardiograph Aide.
- Shadowing experience at a local hospital.
- Opportunities: community services such as hospice & blood drives.
HOSA National Competitors in 2007, 2008, 2010 in areas of Home Health Aide, Dental Terminology, Veterinarian Assisting, Medical Assisting.
- Placed Top 10 in Dental Terminology 2010, 2011
- Placed Top 10 in Veterinarian Assisting 2011
- Placed 3rd in Administrative Medical Assisting in 2007
Several students have held regional officer positions, including Regional Parliamentarian 2010, Regional Historian 2011, and presently Regional Vice President.